Daryl’s life was shattered in 2000 when he was TWICE SHOT in the face and shoulder while on a routine callout to a neighbourhood dispute. Despite critical injuries, he drew his firearm and began searching for the gunman. A year later, for his actions that night, he was awarded for his bravery, but Daryl was only just embarking on his harrowing road to recovery.
What followed was a decade of dark times. It’s only through sheer grit and determination, and the support of those around him, that Daryl made his way back from the depths of despair.
Over ten years, while suffering depression and PTSD, Daryl underwent over a dozen surgical procedures to reconstruct his shattered mouth, successfully waged a 10 year battle for criminal compensation, overcame one of his greatest fears and became a firearms instructor, earned a masters in finance and achieved three further promotions within the Queensland Police Service.
Today, Daryl shares his powerful life lessons through his TWICE SHOT talks, workshops and programs. With a natural gift for public speaking, he captivates and inspires his audience, bringing people from tears to laughter, providing them with a truly transformative experience.
TWICE SHOT talks can be customised to ANY audience and incorporate multimedia, including actual audio of the shooting, 3D computer modelling, 2D schematics, and CSI style analysis
to create a truly immersive experience.
RESILIENCE – Survive, rise and thrive in difficult situations
- Develop and grow resilience
- Ask for and accept help
- Accept and adjust to change
- Capitalise on the advantages change brings
COURAGEOUS CONVERSATIONS – Say the right thing and follow up
- Prepare for a difficult conversation
- Know why, how and when to step up and start a difficult conversation
- Ask questions that stimulate agile thinking and explore new possibilities
- Discern the most important thing after a difficult conversation
LEADERSHIP – Lead others through a firestorm
- Prioritise under pressure
- Navigate people through and out of difficult times
- Build rock-solid trust
- Motivate people for maximum achievement during and after challenging events
BRAVE DECISIONS – Evaluate tough choices and make decisions you and others can live with
- Evaluate choices while following your gut instinct to make brave decisions
- Avoid panicking about tough decisions
- Analyse and make committed decisions
- Stay on course and sleep easy at night