Jamie Durie is a qualified horticulturalist and multi-award winning international landscape designer based in Australia and the United States. Founder and Director of his design firm, Durie Design, he is also the author of 9 best-selling books (100 Gardens, Jamie Durie's The Outdoor Room, Outside, The Source Book Editions 1 and 2, Inspired, Outdoor Kids, The Outdoor Room and Patio-Garden Design and Inspiration). Jamie has hosted many television shows in Australia and the United States, with his core show The Outdoor Room currently airing in both countries. He also publishes a magazine under the same title. A committed environmentalist and pioneer of 'The Outdoor Room' concept, Jamie has greatly impacted the face of landscape design, inspiring a whole new generation to rediscover their gardens.
Born in Manly, northern Sydney, Jamie spent most of his childhood in the mining town of Tom Price in north Western Australia. Like most Australians, he loves the outdoors and designs spaces that recognise the crucial role nature plays in nurturing our wellbeing. Jamie draws inspiration from the natural form, including the vast natural beauty and drama of the Australian landscape, extensive international travel and his passion for Eastern culture and lifestyle through his Sri Lankan heritage. He successfully combines these elements to create his own unique style and approach to garden design.
Undoubtedly one of Australia's most recognisable talents, Jamie has featured in over thirty television shows worldwide. In Australia, he's hosted many top-rating programs, including The Outdoor Room, Australia's Best Backyards, Backyard Blitz (for which he received the Logie award for Most Popular Male Talent, as well as six consecutive Logie awards for Most Popular Lifestyle Program) The Block, Torvill and Dean's Dancing on Ice, and most recently he was a host and judge on Top Design. In the United States, Jamie's show The Outdoor Room, which launched on HGTV, is now in its fifth season of production. He has also hosted HGTV Dream Home, HGTV Green Home (which recently won a coveted Environmental Media Award) HGTV'd, Bang for Your Buck, HGTV Showdown, America's longest running gardening program The Victory Garden, which airs on PBS, and has featured in White Room Challenge. Jamie also appeared regularly on The Oprah Winfrey Show following his first appearance on the show offering garden advice and inspiration through his many makeovers. Jamie has featured in a documentary on Cirque du Soleil for Australian television.
Jamie also designs a range of outdoor furniture and garden care products - PATIO by Jamie Durie, available exclusively through Big W Australia. He has also created a range of paints inspired by nature under the Jamie Durie Signature label, and indoor and outdoor rug ranges with the The Rug Collection, also under the Jamie Durie Signature brand. Jamie has also recently developed an iPhone app, Garden Design with Jamie Durie. An advocate for conserving our natural surroundings and environmental future, Jamie is passionately involved with environment and charity work. He trained with former US Vice President Al Gore as a Climate Project Presenter, and is an Ambassador for PLAN International, Planet Ark, National Tree Day, the Forest Stewardship Council and Earth Hour. Each year he donates his time and resources to many charities, including FSHD, the Children's Cancer Institute and The Children's Hospital at Westmead. He also hosted the Australian Conservation Foundation's Spirituality and Sustainability Forum with His Holiness the Dalai Lama, and is an ambassador and former board member of the Royal Botanic Gardens Trust, Sydney.
Some of Jamie's notable achievements and personal highlights include:
- 33 garden design awards nationally and internationally, with invitations to exhibit and compete at shows around the globe, including Australia, USA, Singapore, Japan, New Zealand, Thailand, Malaysia and the prestigious Chelsea Flower Show in the UK.
- Gold medal Chelsea Flower Show, London
- Gold medal Sydney in Bloom, Australia
- Gold medal Melbourne International Flower and Garden Show, Australia
- Gold medal Singapore Garden Show, Singapore
- Gold medal Ellerslie International Flower Show, New Zealand
- Design and Innovation Award Pacific Flora
- International (World Garden Competition), Japan
- Excellence in Construction Award ? Pacific Flora International (World Garden Competition), Japan
- Urban Design Institute of Australia awards for Triptych project
- Large-scale designs and resorts around the world, including the US, Spain, Australia, Hong Kong, Singapore, Morocco and Dubai;
- Best-selling author of 9 garden design and inspiration books, including: 100 Gardens, Jamie Durie's The Outdoor Room, Outside, The Source Book Editions 1 and 2, Inspired, Outdoor Kids, The Outdoor Room and Patio Garden Design and Inspiration;
- Completed the Al Gore Climate Project Training course and is now an official Al Gore Climate Project Presenter;
- Hosted the Australian Conservation Foundation's Spirituality and Sustainability Forum with His Holiness the Dalai Lama;
- Ambassador for Plan International for 9 years;
- Ambassador for Children's Cancer Institute for 8 years;
- Ambassador for Planet Ark and Planet Ark's National Tree Day initiative for 11 years;
- Ambassador for Earth Hour for 3 years; Ambassador and former board member of the Royal Botanic Gardens Trust for 7 years. Awarded a Centenary Medal for services to Television and the Australian Community by the former Prime Minister of Australia Mr John Howard;
- Durie was awarded a Medal of the Order of Australia for service to the community as an ambassador and supporter of a range of charitable and environmental organisations and as a landscape designer
- Individual Logie award for Most Popular New Male Talent; 6 consecutive Logie awards for Backyard Blitz for Most Popular Lifestyle Program; E
- MA Award (Environmental Media Association Award) for HGTV Green Home
- Executive Producer for Jamie's Journey Hope for Uganda's Children and Jamie's Journey with the Children of India, both produced in conjunction with Plan International (Child Sponsorship Agency) for HIV Aids awareness in Uganda (aired on the Nine Network Australia) and awareness of the challenges and successes Plan's early childhood care programs are having throughout India.