Other notable achievements from Peter Hillary's lifetime of high adventure include:
- Over 38 mountaineering expeditions including Everest West Ridge, Makalu West Pillar, Mt Vinson, Aconcagua, Lhotse, Amadablam and Carstenz Pyramid.
- Surviving the storm on K2: In 1995 Peter Hillary turned his back on a climb of the world's second highest mountain, the notorious K2. He was just a few hundred metres from the summit. He survived, but the storm claimed the lives of seven others he'd been climbing with.
- Landing small aircraft at the North Pole with Sir Edmund and astronaut Neil Armstrong.
- The first ski descent of Mt Aspiring: the Matterhorn of the Southern Hemisphere.
- The first high-altitude traverse of the Himalayan Range, 1981: a 3000 mile/5000 kms route from Mt Kanchenjunga in Sikkim through Nepal and India to K2 in Pakistan.
- From the 'Ocean to the Sky': jetboating up the sacred Ganges river with his father in 1977, from the Sundarbunds in the Bay of Bengal to high in the Himalayas near Badrinath, where they made first ascents of Mount Nar Parbat and Mount Akash Parbat.
- Shark frenzies in the Coral Sea: feeding and filming sharks with Ron and Valerie Taylor at the Osprey Reef 200 kms off the north Queensland coast.
Peter is an adventure travel operator and guide specialising in the Himalayas and Antarctica. He guided Qantas CEO James Strong on Mt Vinson in Antarctica and entrepreneur Dick Smith up Carstenz Pyramid in Irian Jaya. He holds a commercial pilot's license for fixed wing aircraft. He also works as a professional public speaker and writer. He is the author of four mountaineering books and one children's book with a sixth book published in New York in late 2003; he writes magazine articles, works on outdoor equipment design and marketing for Fairydown Adventure, the same company that equipped his father and Tenzing in 1953.
Went way above and beyond ...We would certainly consider him for any other speaking opportunity.
- Lucent Technologies Optical Networking Group, USA
Peter Hillary is an extraordinary person and a delight for anyone to meet. I cannot imagine any setting where he wouldn't be the talk of the group for years to come. He appeals to all age groups and backgrounds. He is a gentleman and a humanitarian - along with being an extraordinary explorer. Peter Hillary is the real thing.
- Director, Worcester Foundation for Biomedical Research, Massachusetts
Peter came highly recommended and after hearing him it is easy to understand why. He was sensational, and it would be difficult to find a more appropriate speaker for our sales team to learn about commitment and discipline.
- Salmat Letterbox Delivery Services
Not surprisingly, your address was rated the highest (with an average of 9.1 out of 10) on the delegate's Seminar Evaluation Sheet.
- CEO, Queensland Association of Permanent Building Societies