Mr McKeon was named Australian of the Year 2011. He has extensive board experience in the private and public sectors, combined with senior roles in investment banking and legal experience. Appointed as Chairman of the Board of CSIRO on 28 June 2010.
Currently Mr McKeon is the Executive Chairman of Macquarie Group's Melbourne Office, President of the Australian Government's Takeovers Panel, Chairman of Multiple Sclerosis Research Australia and Chairman of Business for Millennium Development.
He is a Fellow of the Australian Institute of Company Directors and also of the Financial Services Institute of Australasia.
Mr McKeon is also on the Boards of Vision Fund, Red Dust Role Models and Global Poverty Project and is a member of the Victorian Rhodes Scholarship Selection Committee and the Australian Government's Human Rights Small Grants Scheme Advisory Panel.
Mr McKeon has previously served as Chairman of MYOB, the Association of Independent Schools of Victoria and the Australian Government's Point Nepean Community Trust, as a member on the Boards of MS Australia and MS Victoria, World Vision Australia and as a Director of the Archbishop of Melbourne's Relief and Development Fund.
Mr McKeon has been awarded a Bachelor of Commerce, University of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1976 and a Bachelor of Law, University of Melbourne, 1978.
Mr McKeon holds a number of Board memberships, including:
- Director, Global Poverty Project, 2009 - current
- Director, Red Dust Role Models, 2008 - current
- Chairman, Business for Millennium Development, 2007 - current
- Chairman, Multiple Sclerosis Research Australia, 2004 - current
- Director, Vision Fund International, 2003 - current
- President, Australian Takeovers Panel, 1999 - current.
Past Board and other positions held by Mr McKeon include:
- Chairman, MYOB Limited, 2006-09
- Chairman, Association of Independent Schools of Victoria, 2005-08
- Chairman, Point Nepean Community Trust, 2004-09
- Director, Multiple Sclerosis Society Australia, 2001-05
- Director, Bio 21 Australia, 2001-02
- Director, St Leonards College, 1997-00
- Director, World Vision Australia, 1994-05
- Director, Beaconhills Christian College, 1990-94.
Mr McKeon is married to Amanda Jones and they have four sons. He has a keen interest in sailing, and has held the World Sailing Speed Record with Tim Daddo for much of the period from 1993 through to the present. Mr McKeon is a patron of the Australian Olympic Sailing Team.